Friday, January 25, 2013

A LEGO Birthday

I had so much fun putting together my son's Lego themed birthday party, I wanted to share a few more of the details.  There are soooo many Lego birthday ideas out there, it was hard to choose! 

Cake, Lego Crayons, Pin the Head on Lego Character

Through Pinterest I found the blog Delia Creates (deliacreates.blogspot.com), which had so many wonderful ideas and some free printables.  Here's a link to her main post about her son's party, which has links to other posts at the bottom. 

Invitations

I posted earlier about the pictures we took for the LEGO Birthday invitation.  Here's what I ended up putting together.  The center picture was a free image available on Delia Creates, here.  I used picmonkey.com to create the photo collage and add the text.  (I enjoy that the site makes it easy to download your final image so you can print locally.)
Lego party invitation


The LEGO Cake
Cake that looks like lego bricks
We had lots of fun making the LEGO cake (yes, I do mean "we"... my wonderful husband helps with the birthday cake process.  He has a much better eye than I do for cutting cakes to shape and adding fun details, like all the mischievous characters above).  The blocks are made from cake baked in mini loaf pans, trimmed to be smooth rectangles.  Each "bump" is half of a regular sized marshmallow.  We found frozen marshmallows (like cakes) are easier to frost.  Toothpicks were helpful to create handles in the marshmallows and sometimes to keep in the place on the blocks.  The frosting is just regular frosting from a can.  My husband created the great colors (have I told you I wouldn't attempt a birthday cake without him?).  I know this isn't the clearest picture, but underneath the plastic wrap is paper with "bumps" printed on it, again from the Delia Creates link above.  My son loved seeing all the characters on the cake but was most concerned with the one near the bottom as it appears his legs are stuck in the cake (really his legs were missing and that was Dad's solution!).


A Fun Favor -- Lego Crayons

We recycled old, broken crayons into a Lego mold I ordered from Amazon (Building Bricks Ice Cube Tray or Candy Mold).  I'm pretty sure I could have melted the crayons in the mold in the oven (the website said it was oven safe) but the paperwork with the mold didn't mention oven temps, so I decided to melt the crayons in a "double boiler" type set-up.  I used a tin can on the inside so I could toss it when I was done, melting the lightest crayons first.  I amazed how well they came out of the molds!  Since it was mostly a family party and only a handful of kids, this was an ok way to do it.  If I needed to create lots, oven would have been tons faster.
Lego party favor homemade crayons
I put the crayons in paper Lego boxes (also from Delia Creates) to give to the kids at the party.

Activities

I printed LEGO person color sheets for the kids to color.


My husband and I enlarged a picture of a LEGO person onto a poster, which became a "pin the head on the Lego person game".  I laminated the head so that I could use glue dots and not worry about it ripping each time. 
Lego party activity

Of course after presents were opened, putting new LEGO sets together became a default activity.  We also got out our larger Mega Blocks for a few younger guests.

There were a few other Lego details we did that were fun -- a present wrapped like a Lego and a birthday sign with the number 4 made from legos.

If you're planning a Lego party in the near future, I hope you have as much fun as I did with the process.  The theme was a hit at our house on the gravelly road :)


4 comments:

  1. Very cute! Looks like a lot of fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very cute party for a lego lover!

    Thanks for linking up to Sharing Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made little lego guys for my son to give away as valentines. Instead of putting the mold in the oven, we put it in the microwave for 5-8 minutes, until the wax was melted. It worked great!


    I just recently posted Lego Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Lego party is any day a good idea for a kid’s birthday party. Thanks for reminding me that such kind of a thing exists, now I will definitely throw a Lego party for all the kids coming to my daughter’s 3rd birthday party. I am sure everybody is going to have fun because we have even booked one of the amazing venues in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...