Sunday, January 5, 2014

Crafting for Christmas (2013)

This post is much later than I intended but decided to post any, just to have a record for myself.  We didn't get nearly as many projects done this past December to get ready for Christmas... at least compared to last year's list of projects.  (I also did not take as many pictures of projects "in process" this year).

As we did last year, we decorated gift bags for preschool teachers and sunday school teachers.  We also gave a few snowman thank you gifts like last year. Here's what else we did:

Thumbprint Reindeer Ornaments
This was our big project to use as gifts for family (grandparents, great grandparents, and a few other important people).
salt dough ornaments with thumbprint reindeer

Because we made the Handprint Snowment last year on Christmas balls, I wanted to do something a little different this year.  Instead we started with salt dough, similar to last year but added cornstarch to make the dough smoother.  My son helped roll the dough and then we cut out circles, added a hole with a straw, and baked them.  A few days later we painted them white and the next day we added his thumbprint with brown paint.  I used Sharpie markers and paint pens to add the detail on the reindeer.  My favorite part of them though is that I had him print his name onto a piece of paper the size of his ornament and I transferred it onto the back of each ornament making it a unique keepsake.  (I transferred his handwriting by putting the paper over the ornament and tracing his writing with the sharpie, letting the ink soak through.  Then I wrote over it one more time).


Cinnamon Dough Ornaments
cinnamon dough Christmas ornaments

We had fun with this one, though I made the mistake of flouring the surface where we were rolling out the ornaments instead of using cinnamon as I was almost out.  They still smell great and were fun to add to presents.  We used this pin for instructions.


As last year, my husband also made a few gifts in the wood shop, though not quite as many :)

We had so much fun making homemade gifts for those we love.  Did you make any fun gifts this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...