Thursday, February 23, 2012

Beauty and Silence

I'm on vacation.  A vacation filled with people and noise and tools.  Yet, I've been drawn by the beauty and silence the last 2 days. 

Yesterday I traveled here by myself (my husband came earlier in the week).  I spent almost an entire day on planes or in airports.  It was luxury to be able to sit and read, or think, without feeling like I needed to be doing something else.  I was just waiting.  I had a lot on my mind.  My aunt was in surgery all day yesterday at Mayo and I felt blessed to be able to pray with little to distract me.  Thankfully, the surgery was a success.  The surgeons removed the brain tumor and sight has returned to her left eye.  I'm filled with joy for answered prayers of so many.
"Be still and know that I am God" -- Psalm 46:10
Finding silence in my day and being still is hard, especially as a mom to a 3 year old.  During most of the trip, my husband will be working all day.  I'm trying to be intentional with how I spend my days -- to both spend time getting to know a few other women here but also to find some time to be by myself.  Of course, there's also big dinners planned, awards ceremonies and a party bus that won't be silent.  But for this afternoon, I'm treasuring that I can choose to be silent, to spend time alone, to walk the beautiful indoor gardens here, and to listen to the indoor waterfalls.  My soul sings in the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...