Thursday, April 11, 2013

Book Review: The Artist's Daughter


I was given a copy of the new book The Artist's Daughter: A Memoir by Alexandra Kuykendall by MOPS International a few weeks ago as part of a program to help get the word out on this great book, the theme book for MOPS next year (2013-2014 ). 

The book arrived on a Monday.  That evening I decided to start the book, thinking some light reading before bed would be nice.  Well 100+ pages later, a little past midnight I finally went to bed.  I finished the book the next day.  I've since read it a second time.  I enjoyed it THAT much.

The book tells moving stories from the author's journey from childhood into motherhood, with identity, faith, marriage and mom struggles along the way.  It examines the core questions of "Am I lovable?  Am I loved?  and Am I loving?" throughout.

I found Alexandra to be a wonderfully authentic storyteller such that you easily get caught up in her journey.  At the same time, the book is filled with wisdom and Truth that gives the reader opportunities to reflect and examine their own life experiences and the journey that God is leading them on.

I was touched by her powerful words in so many parts of the book.  Here's two quotes that touched me:

"The grief was for what could have been, what should have been, and what would never be. ... I had to know how to live in the shape I was in.  To move forward with a husband who was willing to put his arms around me and hold me tight for as long as I needed.  With a God who allowed the pain to be there and was always willing to love me through it."  pg 98
 
"The [phrase] "do what only you can do" was not only about cutting things out of my life, it was also about stepping up when it was time."  pg 215

If you get a chance, take the time to read this one and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.  (If you see me regularly and like to borrow my copy, please let me know!)

Below is a video of the author discussing the book, if you want to learn more.



* Disclosure - I was given a free book to help promote and spread the word on this book. My opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...